UPDATE: Registrations are now open! Please see below for more details…
The ASA ECR Chapter is pleased to announce a series of SciCoder workshops — “SciCoder: The Australian Tour presented by ASTRO 3D” — across Australia, enabled by ASTRO 3D and ADACS. SciCoder is created and taught by Dr. Demitri Muna who has been offering these workshops since 2010. The workshops are designed to introduce the early-career researcher to modern programming practices, languages, and tools as specifically applicable to scientific research. These skills will enable the participant to write better code, code faster, and leverage more tools than scientists are typically introduced to or aware of. An emphasis is placed on the rich variety of open-source software available.
- PROGRAMMING TOOLS — Introduction to Python, learn how to make code reusable by creating your own Python modules, transitioning to Python 3.
- CODE MANAGEMENT — Introduction to Git, using GitHub, learn how to contribute code to community projects like Astropy.
- DATABASES — Introduction to databases, database schema design, SQL, using an object-relational mapper (ORM), populating & querying databases from Python.
- MODERN CODE DESIGN — Transition from writing scripts object-oriented code, creating your own application program interfaces (APIs).
- MULTIPROCESSING — Introduction to multiprocessing concepts in Python with code templates you can build on.
- UNIT TESTING — Learn how to create automated tests to check that your code is doing what you expect it to.
- And more — Regular expressions, introduction to R, NumPy, Jupyter notebooks, IPython, and more!
Registrations are now open.
The registration fee will be $330 and the attendance is capped at 40 at each location. We encourage you to sign-up early; depending on the attendance, we may open up registrations to the broader Australian research community. You can register via the following links:
- Perth, Oct 29 – Nov 2: https://www.trybooking.com/YPIP
- Melbourne, Nov 19 – Nov 23: https://www.trybooking.com/YPKC
- Sydney, Dec 3 – Dec 7: https://www.trybooking.com/YPKD
The SciCoder workshops have been enabled by ASTRO 3D and ADACS, along with UniMelb, UNSW, ICRAR, USyd and the Hunstead Gift for Astrophysics, OzGrav, CASS, and the ASA. We have limited funds available to support suitable attendees. Please email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a short description (300 words or less) of how the workshop will be particularly beneficial to you, and a justification for the financial support request. We will try our best to accommodate as many requests as possible to maximize attendance broadly.
- Registrations stay open till first workshop day (capped at 40 attendees)
- Review of financial requests start on Monday, Oct 15.
Please feel free to reach out the ASA Early Career Researcher Chapter Steering Committee if you have any questions.