- What field do you currently work in?
- What is the highest degree in astronomy/physics you have received?
- What is/was your most recent academic position in astronomy/physics?
- What has been your career path since you completed your degree?
Data scientist –> Senior Data Scientist
- What were the most important factors that led you to leave astronomy and/or academia?
Wasn’t interested in academia
- What is the job title for your current position?
senior data scientist
- What is the name of your company/organization/institution?
- What city and country do you live in and/or work in?
Silicon Valley, USA
- What is your social background? Are there any identifiers that you think are particularly relevant?
- What’s something you greatly miss about grad school? What about something you definitely don’t miss?
I miss the people around me, don’t miss the competitiveness
- What have been particularly valuable skills for your current job that you gained through completing your degree?
- What advice do you think advisors should be giving students regarding their career path?
List the options and useful skills to learn during school for each
- What, if any, additional training did you complete in order to meet the qualifications of your current position?
- What job hunting or networking resources or other advice/resources did you use to land your current position?
- Describe a typical day at work.
Coding, meetings, brainstorming, building models, research
- How many hours do you work in a week?
- What is your level of satisfaction with your current job?
- What are the most enjoyable aspects of your job? Least enjoyable?
Most – brainstorming, immediate impact. Least – not important or exciting impact
- How satisfied are you with your work-life balance in your current job?
- How family-friendly is your current position?
- What advice do you have for achieving work-life balance (including having a family)?
Make it clear during the interview
- Do you still interact with people who work (directly) in astronomy and/or are you still involved in astronomy in some way?